My First Half-Marathon

18 Apr

This past Sunday was the More/Fitness Magazine Half-Marathon in Central Park.

I got up early, around 5:30 as we had to leave no later than 6:30 since the race itself was at 8:00 and I was meeting some college friends of mine who were also running the race. I had no clue how the weather was going to turn out. Half the reports said it was going to rain; the others said hot.  I decided to layer and figured if I got too hot, I could at least strip and tie the shirt around my waist.

I stuffed two Gu’s in my pockets, set up my iPod and pinned my bib. I kept to my new pre-race fuel of iced coffee and 2 slices of whole wheat toast with sunbutter and off I went.

Husband was kind enough to drive into the city rather than taking the dreadful 5:42 train in from LI (which would have called for an earlier wakeup call). I met up with my friends and we figured out which corrals we were going to go to.

The race began and off we went. Slow and steady was my mantra – 13.1 miles is a lot for this newbie runner and I didn’t want to hit the wall early. My friend who was with me (hi, Court!) was running a slightly faster pace than I and amongst the 7,088 other runners, I quickly lost her.

So it was me solo and that was ok – I am used to running by myself. As I ran the race, I felt pretty good. The course itself was essentially 2 loops around the park, so after the first loop, you had an idea what to expect again. There were a lot of hills and as I ran up the hills, I wished I had done more hill training.

Since it ended up being unusually warm, I definitely stripped… actually around mile 6, I saw my mom, my niece, and my husband and as they waved to me, I untied my shirt and tossed it to my husband. I definitely hit all the water stations too.

Mile 10 is where I hit the wall. Every breath I took burned my chest and my feet were just so sore and tender. So I allowed myself walk breaks (hey, it was my first! I was going to PR no matter what) for a minute and then I’d run some more. And the walk breaks helped me go for awhile.

Suddenly, when I didn’t think I’d ever see the finish line – it was there! The crowds were so great and enthusiastic. Even when I walked, they shouted and cheered me on to keep going.

I finished in 2:33:57. My pace was 11:46.  I got my medal, a Mylar blanket, an apple, and a bagel and I was done. I was happy to have accomplished this goal.

But that does not mean the training is done. My next half is quite soon – May 6th! Here we go again!


2 Responses to “My First Half-Marathon”

  1. Anne April 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM #

    Congratulations! I love that event – sad I wasn’t there this year. Your time is awesome especially for your first. Great achievement.


  1. RAD Reads & Weekly Review – April 22, 2012 | Running At Disney - April 22, 2012

    […] Long Island NYC finished her first half marathon!  So proud of her and all of the progress she has […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: